- Reverb G2 is a PCVR headset, meaning it connects to a computer (via 6m cable with DisplayPort and USB C) and uses it for playing games. To be able to play games, you need a decent computer.
- Good graphics card – at least GTX 1080 or better for the best experience. You can compare your GPU against 1080 here.
- The graphics card has to have DisplayPort at version 1.3 or higher. HDMI using an adapter or lower version DisplayPort ports will not work (or at least not in full resolution/framerate). If your GPU is listed in the system requirements article, you’re safe.
- There are USB C → USB A (3.0) and DisplayPort → miniDisplayPort adapters included in the box should you need them.
- In order to be able to play safely, at least 2×2 m area is recommended so you can move freely without worrying about hitting anything.
- Other than that, you don’t need anything else for the G2 to work. You get everything else in the box. You don’t need to setup base stations. You don’t have to buy Bluetooth dongles.
- You can play Steam games on the headset. We actually recommend buying all your games on steam as you can play them with any headset that way. You can even play Oculus games using Revive.
- You can find extensive headset info in this article.
- If you wear dioptric glasses, please read this article.
- Decent CPU: Intel i5/i7/i9, AMD Ryzen 5/7/9, or so
- 8 GB ram or more (16 GB recommended)
- Windows 10, May 2019 update or later
- USB-C or USB 3 port
- The USB-C port does not have to be located on your GPU. Actually using the one on the motherboard is better.
- DisplayPort 1.3 port
- DP 1.2 does not have enough bandwidth to support G2’s resolution at 90 Hz (it might use lower resolution or not work at all). You can also use USB-C to DisplayPort adapter if your computer supports it (the port has to have Thunderbolt).
- Using HDMI to DisplayPort adapter will not work.
Should I upgrade my GPU?
If you’re considering upgrade: if you have 2080, don’t. If you have anything as good as 2070 S, you don’t need to, but you’ll get better experience if you can afford it. Don’t buy 3090s, the benefit over 3080 is not worth the price. Ofc you can also go for AMD Radeon 6800XT 🙂
My computer is not strong enough, should I buy a different headset?
No, G2 is better than other headsets even in lower resolution – you would either have to lower the resolution for the other headset too or you have the same resolution but still all the benefits and comfort of the G2. 🙂
GPUs | Full resolution
You should be able to run G2 at full resolution for cards like:
- nVidia GeForce GTX 1080, 1080 Ti
- nVidia GeForce RTX 2060 S, 2070, 2070 S, 2080, 2080 S, 2080 Ti
- nVidia GeForce RTX 3060, 3070, 3080, 3090
- nVidia Quadro PS200
- nVidia Quadro RTX 4000, 5000, 6000, 8000
- AMD Radeon RX 5700, RX 5700 XT
- AMD Radeon 7
- AMD Readon Pro WX 8200, 92000
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700
GPU | Half resolution
- nVidia GeForce GTX 1060, 1660, 1660 Ti, 1070
- nVidia GeForce GTX 2060
- nVIdia Quadro P3200, P4000, P4200, P5000
- nVidia Quadro RTX 3000
- AMD Radeon RX 580, 590
- AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT, 5600 XT
- AMD Radeon RX Vega56, Vega64
- AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100